Outbuilding Planning Rules

What are the outbuilding planning rules?

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA This includes sheds, home offices, garden rooms, greenhouses, swimming pools, ponds, garages, tennis courts and kennels. Remember that the building must have “a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling house” , you cannot use it for business purposes in a way that it will affect the amenities of your neighbours just like you cannot use it as a separate property to your main house without getting a planning permission.

The rule will differ for the installation of a satellite dish, a new dwelling and the installation of a fuel storage tank.

Not all changes you wish to make to your property needs consent from your local council there are government websites which can help guide you on whether your projects needs permission to carry out the work. You will need planning permission if :
  • Your room is to be built within the grounds of a listed building, a conservation area or on a green field site.
  • Your room exceeds 30m2.
  • Your room stands taller than 4m once built.
  • Your room covers 50% or more of your garden.
  • Your room has a maximum overall height over 2.5m and is within 2 meters of your boundary.
  • Your room stands forward of the principal elevation of your house fronting the street.
If you live in a flat, maisonette (including those converted from houses), a shop or a pub you will need to apply for planning permission.

When building an extension, you have to make sure that it complies with the Government’s Building Regulations (for Wales and England). It's a good idea to get in touch with a builder you can trust so that he can help you in ensuring that your extension meets all the Building Regulations.

The information provided in this article is to be used strictly for guidance only. FindaTrade cannot accept liability for any of the information provided or any work carried out to your property using the information above. We recommend you always check the latest information provided on official websites for the most up to date rules and regulations.