Listed properties

Listed Buildings in England

Listed properties in England are on a statutory list of buildings of 'special architectural or historic interest' compiled by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990, on advice from English Heritage.
English Heritage listed properties
  • Grade I buildings are those of exceptional interest
  • Grade II* are particularly important buildings of more than special interest
  • Grade II are of special interest, warranting every effort to preserve them
Around 370,000 buildings are currently protected, over 92% - are Grade II. Grade I and II* buildings may be eligible for English Heritage grants for urgent major repairs.

Listed building consent If a building is on the list, any building work will require a listed building consent, according to the Planning Act 1990 which can be obtained through the local planning authority. Minor works, such as painting or simple repair work in some circumstances, falls under the scope of this act. Ignoring this act can result to a 12-month prison sentence or a fine or both. You will have to carry out, at your own expense, further works to the listed building to repair the impact of the unauthorised works.

Conservation areas

An area considered to be of architectural or historical interest can be designated a conversation area by the local council. This means additional restrictions beyond the normal planning laws. Planning permission will be required in the following instances:
  • to install dormers or modify the roof of a house or to install a satellite dish on any wall or roof facing a highway or on any wall or chimney over 15m (50ft) tall
  • to clad any part of the exterior of a house with stone, artificial stone, timber, plastic or tiles
  • to extend a house by more than 50 cubic metres (including previous additions erected since 1948 or since the house was built) or ten per cent of the total volume of the original house subject to a maximum of 115 cubic metres
  • alteration or improvement of a building with a cubic content greater than 10 cubic metres within the curtilage of the dwelling house
  • total or substantial demolition of a listed building that has a volume in excess of 115 cubic metres, including some freestanding walls
  • to demolish or remove any wall, gate, fence or other means of enclosure if it's greater than 1m (3.3ft) high where abutting a highway, or 2m (6.6ft) high in any other case.
Remember also that trees are under special protection in conservation areas. If you're intending to do any work on a tree, you're required to inform your local council six weeks before you intend to start work, and obtain its approval.

Party Wall Act 1996

The Party Wall Act covers three types of work, alterations to a shared (party) wall, the construction of new walls on the boundary and excavation work close to neighbouring properties. Where work falls within the scope of the Act it is necessary for a Building Owner to serve notice and obtain the affected Adjoining Owner’s consent; if that consent is not forthcoming the parties are deemed to be ‘in dispute’ under the Act and surveyors must be appointed so that the dispute can be resolved by way of a Party Wall Agreement (technically called an ‘Award’).
A party fence is defined as:
  • a wall that is not part of a building (for example, a garden wall). This does not include wooden fences.
The act applies to all work to be carried out on an existing party wall, building astride the boundary line between two properties and excavations within 3m or 6m (9.8ft or 20ft) of a neighbouring building depending on the depth of hole or foundation. The act was intended to generate communication and agreement between neighbours on proposed work that had a common wall.

Listed Buildings in Scotland

In Scotland, there is is an executive agency of the Scottish Government, Historic Scotland, which has a statutory list of buildings of special architectural or historic interest. Buildings are listed by Historic Scotland on behalf of Scottish Ministers.

historic scotland listed properties If you are planning to make alterations, a Building consent will be required from your planning authority which in the local authority’s view will affect the character of the building. There are three categories of listing and buildings according to their relative importance.
Category A
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Category B
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 50% of the total).

Category C
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with other listed buildings. (approximately 42% of the total).

Listed Buildings in Wales

In Wales, the National Assembly for Wales compiles lists of buildings of special architectural or historic interest. The lists are used to help planning authorities make decisions with the interests of the historic environment clearly identified. Compilation of the lists is undertaken by Cadw in the Welsh Assembly Government. Listed Buildings in Northern Ireland In Northern Ireland, the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) is responsible for the listing process of buildings. Listing began later in Northern Ireland than in the rest of the UK.A range of listing criteria aiming to define architectural and historic interest, have been developed by the NIEA, and are used to determine whether or not to list a building.