Increase the security of your home by installing a burglar alarm! This guide gives you the basic steps of the installation of the alarm system. Wireless alarms are fairly easy to install because there are no wire to run along walls or to hide. no work or redecoration. Installing a wired alarm is more complicated to achieve and we advise you to call a professional .
Skill level: 3 – Advanced
- Screws and nails
- Burglar alarm system kit
Step by step guide to installing a burglar alarm:
1. Buy an alarm system certified BS 6707 displaying three levels of security for the protection of your goods.
2. The main unit must be easy to access without being within reach of burglars.
3. Put the box in the centre of the property, at equal distance from the detectors avoiding any obstacles. Do not place at ground level as this will damage the transmissions of radio waves.The control box must be mounted on the wall. It must be connected to the mains supply via a 2 amps' unit. For detailed instructions, see the manufacturer's instructions on how to configure the connection cable for the control panel.
4. Press the test button; the control unit responds with a beep and a display showing the added device. If the system has a function to alert homeowners when the alarm goes off, you will be prompted to enter a selection of phone numbers.
5. Install the movement sensor at height of 2.20 m at least from the ground.
6. Install the openings' detector inside the house.
7. Attach the main unit on the fixed part of the opening, and the magnet unit, on the mobile part; the siren must be installed in a quiet place, difficult to access.
8. Install the telephone dialler if it is included in the kit .
The alarm detectors called "volumetric" spot the movement of a person or the heat emitted by the person (by infra-red radiation). The so-called "perimeter" alarm detectors identify all openings. Finally the sonic audio alarm detectors are sensitive to the waves generated during glass breakage.
Check with your installer who will guide you in choosing the best equipment according to your needs. It is also advisable to choose a reputable company.
The information provided in this guide is to be used strictly for guidance only. We recommend you always read the manufacturer's instructions.