Electrical Safety - Part-P and Competent Person

Whenever you are having electrical work carried out in your home it is recommended that you use and electrician who is part of one of the Competent Person Schemes.  If you decide not to use an electrician registered with one of these schemes many jobs will require the work to be approved by you Local Authority's Building Control department. Planning permission is not required for most re-wiring work, but if you live in a listed building you may need to contact your local planning permission office first before any work can be undertaken.

Competent Person Scheme

The competent person scheme is available for tradespeople to certify certain types of building work so that they may contact your local authority and provide you with a building regulations compliance certificate within 30 days of completion of the work.  They should also provide you with a completed Electrical Installation Certificate which shows that the work was tested for safety.  This is important if you come to rent out or sell your property and if not done correctly may have to be corrected so that you can do this. The following schemes are provided for electrical work: What is Part-P and 17th edition?

Part-P of the building regulations was introduced in 2005 to provide a minimum safety standard for electrical work in residential properties. There are currently over 25,000 electricians registered to these schemes of self-certification provided by one for the organisations listed above. When using an electrician they should provide you with proof of certification from one of these schemes - you can view the latest Part P documentation here BS 7671 is the current electrical standard for electrical installations and any contractors who undertake electrical work should be certified up to this level. This is covered by all competent person schemes provided by the organisations registering trades as part of the Part-P of building regulations.

What electrical work does not require Part-P?

You should always check with a registered electrician or your local authority, but below are examples of work which do not usually require Part-P building regulations approval:
  • changing accessories such as sockets, light switches and light fittings

  • replacing damaged single circuit cables

  • replacing existing installation enclosures

  • installing or upgrading supplementary equipotential bonding

  • work outside of the kitchen or bathroom which does not require special installations – such as additional lighting points and sockets to existing circuits


Finding a Part-P Certified Electrician with FindaTrade

  After posting your job with FindaTrade we will get local electricians to contact your to discuss the work required. We take electrical safety very seriously and provide all of our electrician members with a specific place to display their Part-P competent person scheme registrations. You can use these to check that a company is legally registered with the scheme but recommend you always as for documents providing proof of these registrations and any certifications before you allow any work to begin.

The information provided in this article is to be used strictly for guidance only. FindaTrade cannot accept liability for any of the information provided or any work carried out to your property using the information above. We recommend you always check the latest information provided on official websites for the most up to date rules and regulations.