A glass block wall is perfect for creating an interior or exterior wall, without the need to call a professional. The glass block wall creates a partition while letting the light which is the greatest advantage. Before installing, you need a minimum of preparation, the rest is very simple. The block wall is particularly interesting in a kitchen or bathroom, it separates the room while letting in light and is resists well to moisture. The glass block is quite heavy, you must ensure that the floor will support the extra load. On a wooden floor you have to be cautious. For added security, the glass block wall shall not exceed 6 meters in length.
Skill level: 2 – Intermediate
- Plastic joining strips
- Tape measure
- Metal rods
- Spirit level
- Silicone sealant
- Special glass mortar
Step by step guide to building a glass block wall:
1. To mount a glass block wall, begin by mounting a wooden or metal frame to the floor, the side walls and the ceiling, where the bricks will be assembled.
2. The glass blocks are then connected together with plastic joining strips.
3. The wall is then assembled by placing the mortar between the bricks.
4. Let it dry and then wipe a damp sponge to remove excess mortar.
5. The iron seal will allow smooth joints, silicone sealant will help to achieve the finishing joints between the blocks and wood.
Glass block walls cannot bear weight, and should never be used for load bearing.
Unless you are good at DIY, you might want to contact a local builder.
The information provided in this guide is to be used strictly for guidance only. We recommend you always read the manufacturer's instructions.