Job description: When the sun shines, what better way to enjoy the day than having a few friends around and organising a barbecue. Here is a guide to build your barbecue out of bricks (before you invite your friends).
Skill level: 1 – Intermediate
- Spirit level
- Metal legs
- Grill set
1. Draw on the ground the size of your future barbecue.
2. Dig a hole about 10 cm deep into the ground for the location.
3. Pour the concrete into the holes. Smooth using a trowel.
4. Use the spirit level to verify that the base is horizontal.
5. Let the concrete dry for at least 24 hours.
6. Lay the first bricks on the three closed sides of the barbecue (that is, on the sides and the back).
7. Stack the other bricks on top with the mortar (cement + sand + water). Check with the spirit level level after each new row.
8. After 3 rows, fix the metal legs in the concrete , they will keep the grid of the fireplace. These legs must be made of stainless metal. It is possible to use long screws. This grid must be particularly strong because it will house the fire of the barbecue.
9. Build 2 new rows of brick. Again use the spirit level to check the bricks are horizontal.
10. Seal in the concrete the metal tabs.
11. Build a 6th row , your last row of bricks.
12. At the end of your brick laying, cut the joints so that the mortar is even. Point your bricks with cement or lime.
Quick Tip for lime mortar joints: you need to add 5 parts of sand for 3 parts of lime).
Unless you are good at DIY, you might want to contact a local bricklayer.
The information provided in this guide is to be used strictly for guidance only. We recommend you always read the manufacturer's instructions.