A leak or a burst pipe can cause a lot of damage to a property especially if they go unnoticed for a while when you are away. Here are a few tips to avoid frozen pipes :
1. Make sure that all the outside water pipes (hot or cold, copper or plastic) are insulated against the risk of freezing. You can use pipe insulation available in most DIY shops; it comes in various sizes to suit most pipework.
2. Make sure you don't forget to insulate pipes in your garage.
3. In lofts, pipes are more susceptible to freezing temperatures as modern loft insulation lets very little warm air into the loft during the winter months so insulate them.
4. Using insulation tape, you can keep the pipe insulation in place.
5. If you go away during the cold months, leave your central heating on low and keep the loft entry open.
6. Also internal pipes fixed on an external wall can freeze. Disconnect your hose pipes during winter .
7. If you find a frozen pipe, you can thaw it as long as it's not damaged by using a hairdryer or a cloth soaked in hot water.
8. Never use a blowlamp as the water could boil and make the pipe explode.
The information provided in this guide is to be used strictly for guidance only. We recommend you always read the manufacturer's instructions.